Temple of Garnoth
The Calendar of Harptos is the calendar used almost all over Faerûn. It was created by the wizard Harptos although most people associate the word ‘Harptos’ with the calendar. It is split into twelve months, each lasting three tendays (or thirty days).
Different regions use different starting points when numbering the years. Most dates will be given in Dale Reckoning (DR). Dalereckoning is taken from the Year of Sunrise, when the Standing Stone was raised by the elves of Cormanthyr and the human Dalesfolk. Since this time, humans were permitted by the Elven Court to settle in the more open regions of the forests. In some texts, primarily those which do not have direct ties to Dales history, Dalereckoning is called Freeman’s Reckoning (FR). The calendar is widely used in Faerûn but has not spread beyond its shores.
Months and Festivals
- Hammer (Deepwinter)
- Alturiak (The Claw of Winter or The Claws of the Cold)
- Ches (The Claw of the Sunsets and Spring Equinox on Ches 19)
- Tarsakh (The Claw of the Storms and Greengrass from Tarsakh 30 to Mirtul 1)
- Mirtul (The Melting)
- Kythorn (The Time of Flowers and Summer Solstice on Kythorn 20)
- Flamerule (Summertide and Midsummer from Flamerule 30 to Eleasias 1)
- Eleasis (Highsun)
- Eleint (The Fading, Autumn Equinox on Eleint 21 and Highharvestide between Eleint 30 and Marpenoth 1)
- Marpenoth (Leafall)
- Uktar (The Rotting and Feast of the Moon between Uktar 30 and Nightal 1)
- Nightal (The Drawing Down, Winter Solstice on Nightal 20 and Midwinter between Nightal 30 and Hammer 1)